The Legend

The Legend

Monday, April 16, 2018

Space Utilization

I like collecting prospect autos.  Extra bonus if it is a player I've seen in Morgantown.   

Mitch Keller made his way to my neck of the woods last year for a short rehab assignment as he was building up his innings. You could tell he was wayyyyy too advanced for NYPL hitting.  He mowed down 6 hitters in what seemed to be about 30 seconds worth of pitching.  It was quite impressive. Guess it makes sense that he is the Pirates top prospect and is dominating every level. I'm guessing he may actually pitch in Pittsburgh at some point this year if the meteoric rise continues.  



2017  Leaf Trinity Mitch Keller Auto

I'm paying around $4 for Trinity Keller autos instead of $15-25 for the Bowman version. I like adding Bowman autos, but I usually have to focus on the fringe prospects instead of the big names.  I use sets like Trinity and Bowman's Best for the top 100 prospect types. 

Design wise I prefer the patch variations a little better than these base autos.  The patches cover up a lot of the wasted space left for the inscriptions.  Keller did a better job than a lot of the players of writing something unique.  Many of these just say "Go Pirates" or something of the like.  

It would be kind of funny if the players were allowed to be crude.  "Can't wait to hit Yadi Molina in the ass with a pitch" or something like that.   Lot's of space to be creative....

Thanks for reading! 

14 comments:

  1. Leaf Trinity is a fun product and it's nice when a player uses that space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pricing on these are so weird sometimes. It seems like they really don't go up until the guy hits the majors where as Chrome goes up once the guy becomes a prospect.

      Delete
  2. It would be kind of funny if the players were allowed to be crude. "Leaf didn't pay me any money for signing these cards."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha....I guess the player could really check and see if Leaf has good quality assurance.

      Delete
  3. Leaf products offer cheaper alternatives that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I prefer a licensed brand, but the price difference is so vast that it becomes a must buy if you want to add a big name.

      Delete
  4. I like to pick up Leaf autos for Mariners prospects too. The inscription is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...hopefully they get more creative. I'm guessing Leaf probably gives them a blueprint.

      Delete
  5. Some leaf cards are ok. I have one of Landon collins with a sweet inscription but that's it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logo or no logo. Prospect or no prospect... if they had quotes like "Can't wait to hit Yadi Molina in the ass with a pitch"... I'd be all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are cool. It must get tiring doing all of the inscriptions though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....Several different variations exist. I'm not really sure what type of print runs Leaf does, but I think their products are pretty much all hit based now.

      Delete