The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, July 13, 2017

COMC Surprise

I don't utilize COMC much these days. The Pirate auto/relics tend to be a little higher than eBay and the commons/inserts are more expensive than Sportlots and Just Commons. COMC seems to only work well for my WVU collection.  Recently I made a fairly significant purchase that was all WVU minus one card.

2007 Exquisite Alexi Castilla/Don Kelly Dual Auto /35

On the surface this dual auto is not very exciting, but I had no idea this card existed. Don Kelly only played a short time for the Pirates and I wasn't aware of a certified auto as he wasn't on the prospect radar.  He would later go on to make a name for himself as a utility player for a bunch of good Tigers teams and earned a few cards, but this one was news to me. So I snatched this bad boy up for $3.99 and I'm super happy to own it. 

Once I got this card in hand I went to look at some more cards in the set.  Turns out he actually has another dual featuring him and Cal Ripken.  Talk about a mismatch.  I must have it!!!!  Only one is on eBay and the seller is asking for $150.  Obviously that is way too much, but now that I know it exists I can keep it on my radar. 

Thanks for reading. 

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea they made a certified auto of Neil Walker's brother in law in a Pirates uniform. Nice addition

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool! Very funny he's on a card with Ripken. Hope you track it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on eBay for the steal price of $150....I'm hoping it will be put on auction.

      Delete
  3. Any idea why UD would put Kelly and Ripken on a card together? Tried searching Kelly and Ripken and all I found were photos of Ripken's ex-wife... who happens to be pretty easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they put just about every rookie on a dual sticker auto with him. Some pretty funny names there along with some guys that actually panned out like Ryan Braun.

      Delete