The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Chicle Proof


2010 Topps National Chicle Zach Duke Artist Proof /10

I have a weird fascination with sets that come and go after only one or two releases.  Not so much the high $ hit based, but the releases that are priced right but never catch on with collectors.  Sets like 2010 National Chicle are a good example. 

From what I remember the release was well received by set collectors, but the lack of quality "hit" cards likely caused the downfall.  It is so hard for card companies to make a set that makes everyone happy.  I've always been a sucker for painted cards so I was a fan of this set.  The problem is if people are going to gamble $60 to $100 on a product they will want to at least have a chance for a big card.  Whether you think that is the right train of thought or not, it is the box busting thought process of many collectors. 

This artist proof autograph came courtesy of Brian from Collecting Cutch.  It features Zach Duke and the picturesque Clemente Bridge outline. The card itself is signed by the artist Chris Felix. There was a fair amount of backlash that this set had too many artist proof cards in it.  Box busters claimed that they didn't hold enough value. Maybe that is the case, but I'm happy to own a unique Pirate card courtesy of the craziest Cutch collector in the blogosphere. 

Thanks for reading! 

10 comments:

  1. I loved that set. I remember spending $20 for the Walker SP upon release. The paintings were all done so well. I wish we could get another all art set soon. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walker cards were pretty expensive when he first broke out. Then it seemed like he was barely getting anything. If a rare Walker card hits eBay now it usually sales for good money.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet looking card! Great image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was cool. Plus I like obscure players like Duke.

      Delete
  3. Great looking card. The 1935 Chicle football set is a thing of beauty. I only own one card from that set but will add to it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I Google Imaged a few and they are nice.

      Delete
  4. Chicle was hit and miss even among set collectors when it came out. Some of the images are weird. I liked it more than most -- although too many SPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaking sp's man, they kill so many great sets.

      Delete
  5. I like Chicle. One of my favorite Jackie Robinson cards is from that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a few cards from the set, but I really like them.

      Delete